Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mystery pointe shoe company Sydney Australia

Yay recently I found some unused pointe shoes for sale at the market.  A local ballet school was selling them for decoration as they were not suitable for pointe work anymore having been sitting around for yonks.
And amongst them were several pairs of shoes from a company I've not heard of before. The stamp on the leather sole reads 
MADE BY 
BARRIE
SYDNEY
First I thought it said Baccie because of the font but I'm pretty sure it's Barrie. So another local company. Anyone heard of them? 
As they are old store stock there is no telling when they were made but long enough for the glue that holds the sock liners to dry out and for the sock liner itself to begin to deteriorate. The lady selling them said they were a cheapie brand.
Two pair are pointes and one demi-pointes. 
Both pairs of pointes are arched and have a red synthetic shank but one pair has another layer on top of that which has a certainly level of give in it. Then on top of that is a vinyl looking sock liner which has dried out and broken in places.
Anyhow that's my newest discovery.


1 comment:

  1. I have a pair that I bought many, many years ago. They're pretty beat up but as an adult learning dance and having good enough feet to explore some pointe work I found them remarkably comfortable, under the circumstances.
    IIRC Barrie was an ex ballet dancer and was a well known costumer in Sydney, where she made and supplied dancers with all sorts of stuff.
    I honestly don't remember where I bought my shoes from but I'm glad I still have them (and even way back then, 20+ years ago, they weren't cheap cheap).

    ReplyDelete