Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ooooo red ballet pointes with metal toes

I was cruising the web for vintage ballet pointes (as I do) and discovered this intriguing pair sold on Etsy last year. 
Aren't they amazing! 
This pair of red satin steel toed ballet pointe shoes was made by the Chicago Theatrical Shoe Company. 
The Etsy seller felt they were from the late 1940s - a la Moira Shearer in the movie 'The Red Shoes'.
The leather soles are stamped with the maker's name - and the term 'super-toe' referring presumably to the steel toes.
I've seen a few pairs of steel toed ballet pointes now but they are all different.
I'm amazed at how the colour has lasted to be honest.  They may have faded but the colour is still very strong.
And here is a press advertisement from the Chicago Theatrical Shoe Company from 1927 (available on eBay).
Now I'm dying to watch those old dancing movies from the late 40s and 50s to see if I can spot any toe tapping ballet dancers. 




1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.
    museum Monaco

    ReplyDelete