Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wooden ballet pointe shoe lasts

Given that I'm a tad obsessed with pointe shoes it wasn't surprising when I spied wooden pointe shoe lasts for sale, I pounced on them!
I mean - WOW - pointe shoe lasts!
To actually have a piece of pointe shoe history in the form of a shoe last seemed irresistible to me.
The only place I've ever seen them before was in videos on YouTube and I think all modern ones are made from a synthetic material which would 'last' longer than the old style wooden ones.  (Pardon the pun.)
So when they arrived the other day I was pretty damned pleased with myself.
They were a lot of four - two of size 7C which are HUGE and two singles, a 2 1/2C and a 1 1/2C - marked Krentler Bros of Milwaukee whom I believe were the actual maker of the lasts. The two smaller ones also have J495 stamped on their sides which may be the style.
The other number is 8-58 which suggests perhaps they were made in 1958.  The seller indicated that plastic shoe lasts were introduced in the 1960s which would seem consistent with these being older. I don't know if Krentler Bros also made shoes or if not, which company used these lasts. 
The smallest of the four - the 1 1/2C fits perfectly (very snugly) inside a Freed professional 4D to give you some idea of the sizing.
They have a very pleasing feel to them. But then wooden things do.  
And even after all their wear, with the last inside the shoe they still balance just like they show you in the videos on YouTube. 
I'm rapt!

1 comment:

  1. Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways. I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers.
    discover San Francisco

    ReplyDelete