Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Welcome to my pointe shoe obsession

Ballet pointe shoes fascinate me.  
I know I'm not alone in that.  
I can't even claim it's because I was a ballet dancer of many years. 
Yes I did the almost obligatory classes when young but when the only teacher left town any chance of pursuing ballet classes disappeared with her.  
But the love of ballet shoes and tutus remained although it lay dormant for many years.  A friend during my teens gave me an old pair of her pointe shoes which I treasured for years but eventually gave to the thrift shop believing I had moved on. 
I hadn't. 
I wanted pointe shoes. 
I wanted worn, tattered pointe shoes, ones with poetry in them. 
I wanted new ones.
I wanted to decorate and embellish them.
I wanted to dissect them.
I wanted to know how they were made.
I wanted to understand their evolution.
I wanted to know about the companies that made them - past and present.
I wanted to collect them.
I wanted to find out what the differences were between them.
I wanted to make sculptures with them.
So this blog is about my dreams.  
A dream of peach satin, of ribbons, shanks and platforms.

1 comment:

  1. You're far from being along and I would guess many are males such as I. I can't remember a time that I didn't love watching performers & dancers en pointe. Not just ballet but any performance that utilizes pointe shoes.

    I just wish the Internet had been around when I was much younger. Back then I thought I must be weird or something; that I was just about the only guy around who loved to see pointe performances and was fascinated with pointe footwear. Now with the help of the Net, I've come to realize that far from being along, there are many others who love pointe footwear. Now I enjoy connect with any and all pointe lovers who also like to connect. Pointe Happiness.

    ReplyDelete